Sunday, January 12, 2014

Does light therapy help with Alzheimer's?

How did I determine that bright light improved my mother's outlook and behavior?

Can bright light improve the attitude, behavior and memory of a person living with Alzheimer's or dementia?


Excerpt from - Dementia, Observation, Bunkhouse Logic, Bright Light

My initial observation started in the doctor's office. Before we would go to the doctor and as I was getting my mother ready, shower, dressed, etc., Dotty would get in a very bad mood and her behavior was awful. I'm not going. I don't want to go. I am not going to the GD doctor. No. No. No. No.

Once we arrived in the doctor's waiting room, Dotty would refuse to talk to me, refuse to look at me, and she had that heart wrenching, sour puss, I'm not here look on her face.

Eventually we would get moved from the waiting room to the observation doctor's room. Dotty. I want to go home. Can we go home now.

However, the nurse (or assistant) would start talking and smiling at Dotty as she took her temperature, blood pressure, etc. Dotty would begin to loosen up.

When Doc C (Chiribogga) would come in. He would sit on this very low stool with wheels on it. He would immediately start talking to Dotty (not me). Doctor C had a very reassuring voice, and a great smile which he used.

At a certain point, Dotty would start smiling and interacting. There is not a GD thing wrong with me. Hey, at least she was talking.

Continue reading


Also see:

Light Therapy for Alzheimer's Patients?


 To learn more about Alzheimers and Dementia care visit the Alzheimer's Reading Room Knowledge Base

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alzheimer's Reading RoomTestimonials

Alzheimer's Reading Room Testimonials Ranked #1 by Healthline in the Best Alzheimer's Blogs - 2012 - 2018 "The Alzheimer’s Re...