Monday, April 9, 2012

My Dad -- Missing and Found | Alzheimer's Reading Room

We learned later that my father had become disoriented and lost. He did not have a cell phone, remember the name of the hotel where he and my mother were staying, remember my mother’s cell phone number...he was unable to ask for help.....
By Donna Giovannetti
My father went missing in Maryland. My mother was attending a conference at Fort Meade, Maryland and my father was supposed to pick her up at 4 p.m.
 
By 5 p.m. he still had not arrived. My mother reported him missing to the Fort Meade police department and called me at my home in Lubbock, Texas. Thus began some of the most terrible hours of my life.

My husband Robert called Lori Gillen (a friend of his), the executive director of the Alzheimer’s Association in Lubbock. She told him about the Medicalert Safe Return program (of little help to us because my father had not been diagnosed or registered) and that we should get a Silver Alert issued for my father immediately. This phone call and the information Lori gave my husband would ultimately save my father's life.
Continue reading here -- http://www.alzheimersreadingroom.com/2009/12/my-dad-missing-and-found.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alzheimer's Reading RoomTestimonials

Alzheimer's Reading Room Testimonials Ranked #1 by Healthline in the Best Alzheimer's Blogs - 2012 - 2018 "The Alzheimer’s Re...